Menu

Thursday, July 08, 2010

So many doors, so many locks, and other adventures

I live a block away from this ...


... and I finally ventured inside it this week (it being the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, on which work continued over the course of 80 years).

I happened inside the door only minutes before 5 p.m., which as it turns out is closing time. I explored the various chapels and read through the ornately posted beatitudes for several peaceful moments. And then I turned to go, to continue on to the grocery store down the street.

But the narthex door was locked! And the other front door. And the other. I scurried as reverently but quickly as possible back into the sanctuary and up the left side aisle. Hooray! A side door. But no. It too was sealed shut.

Just as I began resigning myself to the prospect of sleeping on one of the pews, I heard a sound. A door closing. I raced to the right side of the altar and around toward one of the chapels. And a nice older gentleman tour guide kindly let me escape. Phew!

5 comments:

Ashby said...

This is exactly how trapped I feel in every church building.

Unknown said...

Getting locked in a giant, ornate church would be a nightmare of mine! So glad you escaped!

JoePo said...

For tax reasons, it's not a church after hours - it's considered God's garage.

JoePo said...

That's probably the most beautiful church I've been to, though. One of my favorite things about Catholicism in St. Louis is that everyone calls it the new cathedral, and it's been around almost a hundred years.

Monaca Zlatic said...

ahh that's what you get for entering the catholic church. once you get there, they will KEEP YOU!!