Menu

Monday, July 22, 2013

Some thoughts on Rosaria Butterfield's unusual book

After several requests that I do so, I finally read The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: an English Professor's Journey into Faith by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield, and I'm glad that I did. It's the story of the author's move into the close-knit fold that is the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America (RPCNA), the same denomination that I moved away from several years ago after growing up firmly rooted within it.

I think that whenever we take the time to record our stories, or hear someone else's with openness, it is time well spent. We tell ourselves stories in order to live, as Joan Didion put it. And memoir is a way of making some sense of the experiences that shake our lives and also of making ourselves vulnerable. It's also riddled with inherent pitfalls and limits, as the impulse and intent to be honest and fair and all of those things competes with the desire to make our case, to preserve our take on situations, to win our reader's good opinion on some level.

The first third or so of Secret Thoughts really struck a chord for me, as the emotional fallout that accompanies Butterfield's conversion to a conservative Christian faith as she describes it is not so very different from the feelings of devastation, guilt, and disorientation experienced by many of those who depart from such a faith. As a reluctant stray myself, I recall feeling a great deal of this"comprehensive chaos," to borrow Butterfield's phrase, especially in the months after really owning up to the depth of my doubts and dwindling belief.

Butterfield emphasizes feeling like a traitor to the LGBT and academic communities that she'd poured so much energy and passion into at Syracuse University. While my un-conversion was far less dramatic or professionally debilitating, I continue to struggle with what is I think a somewhat similar sense of betrayal--damage wrought by me on my family and spiritual community as a result of my decision to leave the church and to be open about why I was leaving. Their sorrow was painful, palpable. I remember telling a family member that it seemed like they thought I'd committed spiritual suicide and that it would almost be better if I had died before losing my faith. I'll never forget my loved one's response, as he folded me in a hug since I was crying: "Oh, no, of course we're glad you're here. We want you here with us. But you're right that it is on that level of seriousness." Butterfield's story doesn't underestimate the intensity and the darkness of such a shift, and she's quick to acknowledge that her decisions, her choices have impacted other people's stories and lives, not always in happy ways. This is admirable and brave, and it kept me reading.

I also appreciate the way Butterfield testifies throughout the book to the value of things like diversity, failure, and the courage to be wrong, to embrace risk. In fact, it's that openness to difference on her part that makes a lot of her theological and philosophical conclusions by the end such an enigma to me. After rendering a number of her former LGBT friends in anonymous but nuanced detail--really giving a sense of several people as individuals--Butterfield's description of her former lesbian self as "a case of mistaken identity" feels surprisingly hollow. She doesn't address other potential interpretations of her lifestyle shift, such as the idea that she may be bisexual (she had straight partners prior to her many years in a committed lesbian relationship and is now a pastor's wife in the RPCNA). Nor does she discuss what her conclusion about "mistaken identity" might mean for LGBTs that have always been attracted to the same sex.

As the book moves along, its focus feels more obviously geared for like-minded souls--other conservative believers perhaps looking for counsel on how to respond to the cultural shift on LGBT issues, how to share their faith with outsiders in a winsome way, or why Butterfield found some of the RPCNA distinctives (like exclusive psalmody) especially convincing. Overall, it's an excellent argument against proselytizing, at least as it is traditionally practiced. Butterfield's story is an example of how for most people it's not primarily or solely a lack of information or knowledge that keeps them in or out of a given community but rather has a lot to do with belonging, love, personality, and circumstances. One more clever sales pitch is not going to change someone's mind or heart.

There are things I really disliked about the book, some of that simply due to the fact that we see the world really differently and some of it a result of how various characters are rendered, including a particular handful of Christian humanities faculty dear to my heart (and my education and emotional development) that are described in Butterfield's book as basically petty and grumpy in their more liberal-leaning concerns. But then there were also moments like the one where all of a sudden my deceased aunt, Mary Lou Hemphill, appears. And at first I'm ready to be really angry, as a non-believing reader and as a niece, because Butterfield seems to be using my early-widowed aunt's experience of finally being matched with a much-needed liver donor as evidence of God moving and working in this congregation (my aunt's) that she is visiting, when I know that the transplant failed and this lovely woman died soon after. But then I keep reading and soon enough, in a later section, Butterfield mentions the rest of the story, describing my aunt's congregation's sorrow over the conclusion of the transplant they'd hoped so long for, even saying it seemed a cruel trick on the part of the divine. And then I'm just crying, and we're all just people, and I'm glad to be reminded that here's one more person who knew and appreciated my aunt. So, there you have it.

9 comments:

Alli Jean said...

Thanks Evie. I have not read this book, but have heard about it.

Kathy Lee said...

Evie,

Considering the content, I admire the generous spirit demonstrated in what you have written. Well done.

Kathy said...

I just read an interesting review of this book on Amazon. This statement caught my attention: "The problem is that her radical lesbian feminism and her newfound conservative presbyterianism are in some ways mirror images of each other. In this respect, while the book seems to be greeted as groundbreaking by some reviewers from a conservative reformed background, it actually serves to reinforce some of the moral blindspots found in that background."

sarah elizabeth said...

Hey Evie,
I hopped over here from 52 in 52; currently at Geneva in the MAHE program and found out recently that we have Rosaria Butterfield coming to campus as part of Sexuality Week...I am less than thrilled about the implications of that, for sure. Appreciated your multi-faceted review of the book--helps me be more prepped for when she's here. Thanks!
Sarah

Evie Hemphill said...

Hey, Sarah! Nice to "meet" you, and thanks for so much for reading!

AAFairmount said...

Hi, Evie:
I did read Rosario's book, and also have fond memories of you and your family. Having converted from Swedenborg to Baptist/ pebtecostalish almost Roman Catholic to Reformed Presbyterian (now I'm an Associate Reformed Presbyterian pastor)... I'm glad I did not have to undergo a sex orientation conversion as well (my sexual orientation has always been"yes" ever since my daddy was a little girl... but that's another story... ). All you say is pretty fair. Thanks for taking the book a little bit to heart. Much love,
Tony Cowley

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just coincidentally watched Rosaria Butterfield last night on You-tube and I read your blog just now-I never heard of her book until last night.

My conclusion is that each individual has their own experience. I know pastors who've been married and very committed in their relationship with their wife and was living a "normal" life then years later, came out as gay and said they could not continue to live a lie. I have been a christian myself since I was a baby until I got a supernatural encounter with God and my views on the church changed. I embraced Christ and love HIM with all my heart like never before. I bother to please HIM,we became lovers when I understood the cross but yet my sexual orientation (as a lesbian) remained intact. I am not in any relationship as my passion for Christ and my calling surpass my desire to be with a woman.



Anonymous said...

Such is the price of costly discipleship to God. The price is simply too high -- even for the most wealthy, who turn their back and walk away.

Lila said...

I am posting this 10 years later. It's 2023. Butterfield is back in the spotlight. I have not read her book, so I really should to get a better picture of who she is. But I've heard her give her testimony, and I, too, think it's strange that she kind of just became a lesbian at age 28. Many people who claim same-sex attraction state always struggling with it. But for her, it was like, "well I've tried to make it work with men, and it didn't, so maybe I'm a lesbian." That was strange.