Menu

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Exchanges


"What will you give in exchange for your soul?"

Three times a week I walk past the evangelist's table in the student union, with its banner announcing this question in bold lettering. Sometimes I come very close to approaching the display and talking to the man. I want to attempt a conversation.

Other times I just want to reserve a table right beside his, posing a different question: "What will you give in exchange for a cookie?"

I'll never actually pursue such a bake sale. His question—originally asked by Jesus—isn't nearly as amusing as it is terrifying, and it's followed up by a second question posted on his banner: "Are you going to heaven?" It is that dilemma that kept me awake at night when I was nine and ten and eleven. Am I going to heaven? Now and then the query still keeps me up.

One late-fall afternoon when I reluctantly pass the table the man's young daughter is helping him pack up the familiar banner and books. She smiles shyly at bundled-up skeptic me. She whispers something to her dad. Then comes his gentle reply, in reference to what I deduce to be my snowflaked winter hat: “Yes, hers is just like yours.” Chastened, I feel my face return her joy, and for a moment these eternal worries fade to grace.

"Compassion and gratitude come down from God," Simone Weil writes, "and when they are exchanged in a glance, God is present at the point where the eyes of those who give and those who receive meet."

This is just outside Laramie, Wyoming, where I wrote the above. Circa 2010.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That quotation from Weil is wonderful. Thank you for this piece.

Kathy Lee

Unknown said...

I saw the "You will be asked to sign in after submitting your comment." You wouldn't believe the times I spent 20 min. writing thoughtful comment, then am asked to 'sign in' and there is no immediate 'ok' to post my comment. So I am writing this to find out if my post will be used. Seems like someone would think to tell readers; I'm not picking on you, just the autmaton that made this a 'default'. I loved your post Evie.. and your photo is awesome. So, now...let me see if my post needs 'validation' or perhaps some prior approval in some way before it gets there.

Unknown said...

ok, my post made it, so apologies Evie. I have some friends who claim to believe in predestination, but I can't get them to cross the street without looking both ways first. Joseph Campbell was 'da man' but I've never seen a "Follow Your Bliss" sign in a rehab center! Oh.. and my name is really not Don Smithperson. Evie, love your posts and pictures; I dabble with thinking and photography too! small world. thank you, thank you very much. - Don Smithperson