Menu

Sunday, November 30, 2014

11.30.14 along S. Florissant Road, Ferguson, Mo.


I have a regular appointment in Ferguson, and today I biked there from the MetroLink station as usual. I love this path, the Ted Jones Trail.


 I meant to just grab a cup of coffee or some ice cream at the Whistle Stop before my appointment - didn't want to be a gawker - but I did bring my camera, and I'm glad I did. Like along Grand near my home in the Tower Grove neighborhood, the artwork on the countless boarded-up windows throughout downtown Ferguson was stunning.


Along with the colorful designs and positive messages, it was great to see people interacting. Multiple times, cars pulled over near someone painting to thank them for what they were doing and admire the work.


The three men painting boards on the Whistle Stop were local residents, as were most of the people I spoke with. One of them explained that after the boards are no longer needed, the plan is to auction off the artwork, with proceeds going to help the local business community.


These folks (below) traveled in from Indiana, hoping for justice and peace.


Ferguson Public Library (below) ...


The skies threatened rain in the afternoon, but that didn't keep this boy from adding a chalk message of his own.


City Hall ...


"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping' ... there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." -Mr. Rogers

No comments: